Advantages and disadvantages of VoIP technology
VoIP technology enables the sending of digital packets over the IP network, namely via the Internet connection and voice. Thanks to the structure of the protocol used for this purpose, it is possible to achieve almost complete communications convergence, since today it is possible to transmit different types of digital communication, such as voice packets through a single network.
Due to the possibilities provided by the use of this type of technology, VoIP report a large number of advantages for users who require constant communication, beyond the place where they are.
What are the main advantages of this technology?
1) The cost: It should be noted that one of the major benefits that reports the application of VoIP technology for communications lies in the significant reduction of operating costs.
Through the use of VoIP, it is possible to avoid the high costs of telephony, especially in cases of companies that apply business strategies of Call Centers, or even for those users who tend to make long distance calls.
In general, calls between various VoIP devices are free, while those laid down between VoIP and PSTN (public telephone switched network) users must be paid by the first, but actually reduced costs, up to 50 times less than the conventional communications through local operators.
On the other hand, with the computer and technological advancement within the scope of the codecs for VoIP, now it may establish communication via low bandwidths, because digital voice packages tend to be smaller, so that travel at greater speed.
For these reasons, the communication via VoIP technology is being increasingly used to make international calls, due to its low cost of operation.
2) Equipment: VoIP phones can be used anywhere on the planet, that is a regret that the user’s find traveling outside their country of origin, can continue to use the service under the same parameters and the same rates, provided that you can connect to the Internet.
3) Conferences: Another great advantage in the use of VoIP technology lies in the possibility of establishing communication of the Conference type, i.e. in which you can participate more than one user simultaneously.
4) More services: It should be noted that through the use of applications and special services, as it is the case of the popular Skype, VoIP technology allows in addition to integrate other types of communication such as instant messaging, e-mail and videoconferencing services.
Disadvantages of VoIP technology
1) Defects: Like any other technology, VoIP architecture also has certain flaws that cast doubt on his integrity in the eyes of users who want to incorporate this new method of communication.
2) Delays or cuts: During a VoIP communications it may be delay in the arrival of packets or even cuts of information, although it is important to note that this only happens because of the restrictions that many companies that offer the service may place on their use, according to the service that we have hired.
3) Deterioration of communication: Another negative aspect within the communication via VoIP technology is the possible deterioration of the communication to be received by the user. This generally happens when there is major congestion in the network, or when you use a low bandwidth that does not allow access to an appropriate speed of connection.