Breast implant rupture, causes and symptoms
The breast implant rupture is something that does not happen often, in most cases it happen because of accidents where there is strong chest trauma, but there are other reasons either, viz:-
- Damage occurred because of surgical instruments
- Excessive manipulation during surgery
- Too much compression during a mammogram
- Trauma to the breast or strong physical pressure
- Severe capsular contracture
- Stacking of implants
- Implant wear
The saline breast implants deflate breaking very quickly, in just a day or two saline seeps into the body and is absorbed without generating problems of health.
If the implant is silicone gel, that the break usually remains within the capsule and around the implant, only in very severe cases is that the package which the body formed around the prosthesis is broken and content comes into contact with the breast. But now thanks to that developed cohesive gel implants, the passage of the contents of the breast prosthesis is not at all common.
Notice that when you break a silicone breast implant may not be noticeable because the gel is so thick that you can stay within the same even after they broke or very slowly seep into the breast.
The silicone implant leaks are classified into three categories:
- Intracapsular: the gel remains inside the capsule surrounding the implant.
- Extracapsular: when the gel leaks into the breast tissue outside the capsule.
- Migration: When silicone gel reaches other areas of the body.
When you break a breast prosthesis is experiencing these symptoms:
- Decreased breast size
- Deformity in the contour of the breast
- Breast lumps
Many times the clinical examination is not sufficient to detect the breakage, for it if there is suspicion that the output of the prosthesis using mammography, ultrasound, CT or MRI. Whenever there is suspicion of a ruptured implant should contact plastic surgeon to replace it immediately. Interventions in these cases are simple and are done under local anesthesia in a short time.