Dyeing hair with natural products: how to use henna
Hair coloring is a task that many women do throughout their lives, either to hide gray hair or change hair colors, make reflections, giving luminosity, etc.. Within the wide range of products on the market for color, highlights and tones dyes on tone, both of which are formulas made from chemical ingredients. Throughout the time and used regularly tend to damage hair, but luckily there are natural alternatives like henna.
Within the hair cosmetics are leaving aside the harmful dyes with ammonia and lightening that do so much harm to the hair and scalp. In this sense becomes popularize the henna staining method, as used in Arab and famous for being 100% natural, plant derived and free of any chemical compound.
Henna origin and properties
Henna is a plant native to some arid regions of Africa and Asia which is also known under the scientific name Lawsonia inermis. Since ancient ground leaves are used to produce a reddish tint which serves both as for fabrics hair. It is also used in Indian culture for temporary tattoo designs (mehandi) in women and men.
Among its most famous properties is to dye the hair as it penetrates the surface coating keratin hair own hair and It also becomes very durable.
Moreover, thanks to it is natural, does not prevent the penetration of moisturizing agents need hair shine and silkiness giving provides without requiring other additional nutrients.
Types of henna
The most natural hair coloring is done with 100% natural henna, which comes in various formats and always gives the type reddish tones, lighter or darker according to the base color of the hair.
Sometimes it is also found to use black or brown hair without that characteristic copper color. To achieve this, their formulas are combined with other ingredients such as cassia and indigo or other herbs that enhance the color.
Cassia: is the name acquired when natural henna without color. Your coberura not as strong, but rather delivers golden highlights and is less durable. It is ideal for very light hairs who want no red tones.
Indigo: is the name given to the black henna. In preparing it produces a blue dye that colors very fast and always be prepared separately. Some black tea infusion or red can be added to henna, to give you even more color and tone. Also extra virgin olive oil to nourish, give brillosidad and silkiness while.
The formats presented are varied:
Powder: This is the purest form, comes in envelopes ready to mix with moisturizing ingredients and applied directly to the hair. Usually mixed with a little lemon juice or yogurt incuse with to make it easier to apply. Brands imported from Egypt are the most sold in specialty stores and better quality.
Barra: according to the amount of hair you have, it is sometimes necessary to have a large amount of product and to do henna bar there. The naturist brand Lush soaps offers several versions for different hair tones used mixed with a little warm water. Being natural, its formula supports only mixtures with other herbs.
Cream: in some cases you can see the product ready for use. In this case it is best to get home but also imported components to verify either discard any chemical or dye to be harmful.
Before using dyes is recommended to do a allergy test to rule out any reaction by placing a small amount of preparation on the skin a few minutes. Moreover also suggests testing at some hair strand to see what kind of tone and if taken to our liking.
- In black or dark brown hair, henna only deliver some red highlights in the sun
- If the hair is light brown: give red highlights and a stronger brown.
- If your hair is blond: the result is a very natural orange tone.
Step by step to dye
After selecting the henna and the amount and mix just for the hair color starts the procedure on clean, dry hair.
- in a bowl mix the henna powder or bar with boiling water and make a thick paste without lumps. Once mixed, let cool.
- To apply the mixture on the hair gloves so your hands do not get dirty.
- You can use a brush or just hands on application. Always make it from the root to tip.
- Once finished, cover hair with a plastic cap or cloth and leave for 1 to several hours, depending on the tone you want to achieve (the longer you let the mixture, stronger the tone).
- Keep your head with heat henna will work better.
- Wash your hair normally.
Initially not noticed great results because it starts working over time and increasingly with Repeated applications of henna. On the third day the color begins to oxidize and appear reddish highlights.
- To make the darker shade in the herb mixture should increase the quantity and grass (e.g. indigo) and reduce henna.
- To dilute the henna can be mixed well with yogurt, lemon juice, honey, tea, coffee or simply hot water.
- It is ideal for pregnant women not to use chemicals.
- The pre-dyed hair or a lot of gray acquires another tone in the mix, never the same as virgin hair.
- Although the color drops, henna hair remains until a cut.
If your hair is not as shiny and nourished or tinctures not left as before, it is time to put aside the commercial dyes contain many chemicals. In these cases you can apply to the natural pigments that give the henna color and durable coverage and uncomplicated.