WhatsApp is one of the best apps to make group video calls for free. The simplicity of this function of the well-known social platform, which finally has a dark mode , makes it one of the options that you should take into account if you want to see your family or friends via mobile.
After a long wait, WhatsApp announced the arrival of video calls in July 2018. Despite the fact that it has rained a lot since then, you may have never had the need to use group video calls from the instant messaging service and, therefore, don’t know how to use them. Do not worry, because we are going to prepare a complete guide in which we explain step by step how they are done.
Before proceeding to explain what the process is like (spoiler: it is very simple), we have to mention some key characteristics of group video calls on WhatsApp. First of all, you should know that the limit of participants in calls, whether video or audio, is 4 contacts. To make video calls with more people, you must resort to other options, such as Google Duo or Skype.
In addition, WhatsApp recommends you have a good Internet connection so that these video calls can take place without problems, without your family or friends becoming meaningless pixels and without the audio being cut every few seconds. The platform also clarifies that the calls are encrypted, so you can make them with total security.
With these questions in mind, we move on to the important part of this article: explaining how you can make group video calls on WhatsApp.
This can be done in two different ways:
- by selecting multiple contacts directly through a group,
- or by starting a video call with one person and then adding more members.
Next, we explain the first of them.
- Open WhatsApp and enter the group you have with the contacts with whom you want to make the video call.
- Click on the call button, which appears in the upper right corner represented by a phone icon and a +.
- Select the contacts of the group with whom you want to make the video call. We remind you that you can only choose 3 of them, since with you you would already reach the limit of 4 participants.
- Click on the video camera icon that will appear to the right of the contacts you have chosen to start the call. Your friends will receive it on their mobile phones, and can accept or decline it. If they accept it, you will start to see them and the group video call will start in WhatsApp .
Make group video calls on WhatsApp
As we said, there is another equally simple method, which begins by entering the conversation with one of the contacts with whom you want to make a video call. Next, click on the video button that appears at the top and the video call will begin with it.
After starting the video call, add the rest of the participants by clicking on the button in the upper right corner, with the icon of a person and a+. Thus, you can select the contacts and invite them to join the video call that you are maintaining, thus making it a group. They will be able to see who participates in it and thus choose whether or not to accept. This form is the one you should use when you want to make a video call with contacts with whom you do not have a group in common.
In short, there are these two procedures for making group video calls on WhatsApp: selecting several contacts at the same time in a group or starting a video call between two and then adding more contacts. We emphasize that, unfortunately, the limit of participants of a group video call on WhatsApp is 4.