The invisible enemy in the quality of indoor air. Ventilate, open doors and windows if you want to breathe healthy! Pollution is not only outside, there are chemical or biological pollutants inside buildings.
Although little known yet, indoor air pollution exists. And home to work, to transport, crèche, school, shops all these places that punctuate our daily lives, we spend more time in enclosed or semi-closed that out in the open air. Some works show the link between exposure to chemical and biological pollutants and respiratory disorders, allergies, asthma and immunological reactions.
The origins of indoor pollution
Indoor air pollution has many sources. It can come from outside the building, through the soil, as is the case with radon, outdoor air or with monxyde carbon, nitrogen oxides, and particulates of certain organic compounds volatile from refining, evaporation of organic solvents, or emissions by plants. Indoor air can be polluted by building products, furniture, decoration, maintenance and DIY, combustion appliances (heating, hot water), moisture, and plants animals (pollen allergens of cat, dog and dust mites) and human activity (smoking, cooking, cleaning, office …). These pollutants can interact to create other pollutants.
Radon gas is a rare, radioactive, naturally occurring, odorless and colorless. His lung carcinogen to humans was recognized in 1987 by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), based on epidemiological studies in uranium miners. Radon indoor air pollution by fumes from the ground on which the building is constructed. The basement and ground floor are the most affected.
Moisture and Mold
The moisture often linked inadequate ventilation is either linked to the proliferation of molds that produce spores spreading through the air, either a chemical or biological alteration of materials giving rise also to molds.
And mold is the cause of many health problems. Inhalation or contact with mold can cause allergic reactions such as nasal congestion, eye irritation with itching, redness, tearing, respiratory wheezing, coughing, sore throat, sore headache, irritation of the skin or in people more susceptible to asthma attacks. It is also possible to catch fungal infections. The conditions can be even more serious since some people can contract a hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Where are the mold found?
Molds are found both on wood, paper, carpets, plants as food. Their choice areas are hot and humid places.
Moisture is therefore to look for when flooding, roof leaks, plumbing leaks in the case of damp basements, vapor present in the bathroom and kitchen, at the presence of humidifier, wet clothes to dry inside the home, or clothes dryer with an outlet inside. In homes, the pieces are priority watch the bathroom, including curtains, carpets, shower and tile and the kitchen tiles and window trim should be regularly inspected. The areas around and above the air conditioners should be cleaned often. The villas are also conducive to mold growth. Places professionals promoting the development of molds are greenhouses, flower shops, antique shops, saunas, barns farms enclosing the old hay.
How to get rid of it?
In most cases, a thorough cleaning with soap and water will remove mold. The porous gloves and eye protection is mandatory.
Regular monitoring of temperatures and ventilation eliminates excess moisture, causing condensation and mold on the surface of materials. Also be sure to remove stains as they occur very often and washing carpets.
Some tips for good air quality
– The smoke must be done outside the home.
– The VMC is to check every 3 years.
– Housing must be aired regularly, especially during cooking activities, DIY and cleaning.
– The ventilation openings must not be blocked.
– An area of 2 cm to allow air to pass must be shown under the doors.
– The door between the garage, basement and housing must be closed.
– The bedding should be regularly cleaned and aired.